Animal Care & Property Manager
Animal Care & Property Manager (PETALUMA, CA)
Animal Place Rescue & Adoption Center
Organization Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. The main sanctuary is located on 600-acres in Grass Valley, CA. The Rescue & Adoption Center is operated out of 12-acres in Petaluma, CA. Our rescue and adoption program provides a temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, please visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Our large scale hen rescue began in 2010 and since then, more than 22,000 animals have been saved, primarily hens rescued from egg farms prior to slaughter but also turkeys, sheep, goats, llamas, and pigs.
Job Title: Animal Care & Property Manager
Job Status: Full-time, Live-in, Petaluma location
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Director, Hannah Beins (Grass Valley)
The Animal Care & Property Manager oversees the care of rescued animals, including up to 1,500 rescued hens, adoptable and permanent goats, sheep, llamas, and other smaller animals. You are responsible for managing and scheduling two part-time caregivers, including one who will reside on the property in separate housing. The Manager must be comfortable working with staff, volunteers, interns, and adopters in a polite and engaging manner. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for ensuring the 12-acre property is well-maintained and managed.
Training requirement: A two-month paid training commitment in Grass Valley, housing next door to sanctuary provided.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred
- Previous experience working with farmed animals required
- Strong interest in saving as many lives as possible through intake, rehabilitation, and placement in private homes or other sanctuaries.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- Comfortable with adopting out rescued animals (current foster experience a plus)
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Can lift 30-40 pounds and perform manual labor
- Comfortable working both in an office and outdoors
- Strong and proven communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions, meet time sensitive demands
- Outgoing, social, enjoys working with humans as well as nonhumans
- Extremely comfortable interacting compassionately with the general public
- Skilled at direct communication, conflict resolution, and active listening.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification) – this job requires being able to drive rescued animals to and from the veterinarian, to and from rescue sites, andor to adopters
- Able to disconnect from work, take weekends, and engage in appropriate self-care.
- Committed to Animal Place’s mission
- Work closely with Animal Care Director to develop and maintain animal care schedules
- Maintain an organized schedule and calendar of work for self and staff
- Maintain daily animal health care and treatment records in an organized fashion
- Oversee and aid in daily cleaning duties and maintaining shelter areas
- Schedule and supervise health-checks, of rescued hens or other animals
- Assist with rescues
- Train and supervise part-time staff and volunteers
- Work with Adoption Manager at scheduling consistent adoptions and aid adopters with that process
- Set up veterinary visits, as needed
- Complete shelter office projects
- Regular and ongoing communication with Grass Valley staff regarding health, adoption status, population.
- Supervise contract staff with grounds maintenance, and land needs.
Extra Live-In Responsibilities
- Modification of work schedule to accommodate late-night responsibilities
- On-call (onsite) responsibility 3-4 days a week.
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week
Salary: based on experience
Benefits Package: Health insurance, 10 days vacation and 6 days holiday pay; housing provided; utilities covered; companion animals allowed (subject to approval)
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faxes cannot be accepted. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing.