Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese – White Cheddar Style
Text and Recipe by Janani Kumar of myveggiehacks.com
This recipe took me all of 15 minutes to make. Seriously. One pot (apart from boiling the pasta). And honestly once I finished the ooey gooey sauce, I was twiddling my thumbs waiting for the pasta to finish boiling! It really is that fast. And it stores really well in the fridge, so it is great for meal prep or leftovers for up to 3 days. Just make sure to add a splash of water when reheating in case it dries out a bit in the fridge.
So without further ado, white creamy vegan mac and cheese!
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 box short pasta cooked (I like fusilli, but any short pasta works)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or oil if you prefer
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 tbsp flour, separated
- 2 cups plant milk (I used unflavored soymilk in this one)
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan (I love Follow Your Heart!)
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (I used Kite Hill)
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Salt and boil a pot of water for your pasta and cook according to box instructions.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and saute garlic until fragrant over medium-low heat.
- Slowly add in flour, starting with 2 tbsp and slowly adding more until the texture has reached a thick dough-y consistency.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in plant milk. Keep stirring and boil until thickened.
- Add in mustard, white pepper, garlic, red chili flakes, and stir.
- Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Add in Parmesan and cream cheese and keep stirring until completely melted.
- Take sauce off the heat and add in lemon juice and mix well.
- Lastly, combine pasta and sauce and mix well!
- Enjoy hot or keep it for meal prep/leftovers!