Get Involved – Job OpeningsWant to put your compassion into action and join a dedicated team of activists and animal lovers at Animal Place sanctuary? Check out our job openings!
Supervisory Animal Caregiver – A Full-Time, Live-In Position
Organization Description: Animal Place is a sanctuary and animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals and an education center and the 60-acre Rescue Ranch facility in Vacaville, CA. Rescue Ranch provides temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Job Title: Supervisory Animal Caregiver
Job Status: Full Time, Grass Valley, Live On-Site
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Director
Position: The Supervisory Animal Caregiver assists in the care of the 300 animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits) living at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Director. The Supervisory Animal Caregiver is responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medical care of the animals, as well as assigning tasks to and supervising the caregivers, interns, and volunteers. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
• Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedules
• Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
• Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the shelter areas
• Leading weekly species health checks
• Weekly meetings with the Animal Care Director
• Training and supervising shelter interns and volunteers
• Supervising animal caregivers
• Taking weekly inventory of supplies
• Assisting with veterinary visits and setting up treatment protocols
• Completing office projects as assigned
• Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
• Previous farmed animal sanctuary experience required (1-2 years)
• Reliable and dependable
• Strong leadership skills
• Good animal behavior and observation skills
• Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
• Able to lift 40-50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
• Works well with a variety of people
• Strong communication and listening skills
• Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
• Able to learn and process new information quickly
• Team player and self motivator
• Comfortable dealing politely with the general public
• Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
• Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
• Comfortable living in a smaller town (next large city is >1 hour away, Sacramento)
• Vegan diet required as a live-in
Extra Live-In Responsibilities
Housing is a two bedroom, 1 full bathroom duplex unit
• Cover shifts as necessary due to illness/vacation
• After hours responsibilities as needed (i.e., bottle feeding infant animals, overnight animal checks for ill animals)
• On-call responsibility 2-3 days/week
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week, days off vary; schedule subject to change at any time, required to work most holidays
Salary: based on experience and qualifications
Benefits Package: Health insurance, vacation, and some paid holidays
Start Date: As soon as possible
How to Apply: E-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In subject line, write Supervisory Animal Caregiver. Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing.
Guest House Innkeeper & Adoption Assistant
Guest House Innkeeper & Adoption Assistant
(a live-in position)
Organization: Animal Place is a nonprofit sanctuary for farmed animals and an education/advocacy organization. It operates several facilities: a 600-acre permanent sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA; a 60-acre farmed animal adoption center in Vacaville, CA; a brick and mortar vegan store in Berkeley, CA; a 15-acre residential internship property in Grass Valley; and a 7-acre onsite Guest House and educational site in Grass Valley, CA (next door to the sanctuary where this position is located).
Please visit our website prior to applying: www.animalplace.org
Job Title: Guest House Innkeeper and Adoption Assistant
Reports to: Adoption Manager
About the Position: The Guest House Innkeeper/Adoption Assistant is a live-in position that is responsible for hosting overnight guests and assisting the Adoption and Guest House Manager Initially, the position will be split between the two responsibilities. Guest House duties take priority and may develop into a full-time position in the future.
- Maintain the Guest House
- Assist in creating and promoting educational programs for Guest House visitors (e.g. weekend retreats, camps, etc.)
- Facilitate rental opportunities
- Supervise all Guest House visitor activities
- Assist adoption manager in adoption outreach and placement of needy farmed animals.
Guest House Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist in developing and implementing programs for Guest House visitors in collaboration with Animal Care and Education Departments.
- Maintain reservations, schedules and programs.
- Organize reservations using event planning and scheduling software (Checkfront).
- Clean Guest House weekly, or as needed, including laundering linens, towels, cleaning bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, and keeping breakfast food and drinks stocked.
- Facilitate group activities for guests.
- Assist with guided tours, tabling events, public speaking, social media, and content creation for outreach, when needed.
Adoption Assistant Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist with adoption outreach and placement of farmed animals
- Assist with rescues and transportation of animals
- Help update and maintain database of adopters, shelter partners, and various farms
- Assist in placing animals into permanent homes
- Skill in record keeping and event planning
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional people skills and outgoing personality
- Willingness and ability to keep a flexible schedule
- Familiar with social media platforms and technology
- Comfortable with Word, Excel, PowerPoint (or similar)
- Knowledge and interest in animal farming and animal rights issues and in Animal Place’s mission and campaigns
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to initiate conversations about animal farming issues and veganism and communicate effectively with a variety of people
- Comfortable with country and small town living
- Adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record
- Support for Animal Place’s philosophy and the ability to professionally advocate Animal Place’s positions on issues
Salary and benefits: Salary based on experience, medical coverage, paid vacation. Housing is provided and is located at the Guest House. It entails a 400-square foot living quarters and private bath and use of the communal kitchen.
How to apply: Send resume and cover letter with Subject Line: Guest House and Adoption Assistant to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-time Caregiver – Vacaville, CA
Part-Time Animal Caregiver
Animal Place Rescue Ranch Sanctuary & Adoption Center
Organization Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals as well as education center and the 60-acre Rescue Ranch facility in Vacaville, CA. Rescue Ranch provides temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Job Title: Animal Caregiver
Job Status: Part-time, Vacaville
Immediate Supervisor: Rescue Ranch Manager
Job Description: The Part-Time Animal Caregiver assists in the care of anywhere from 500-2,000 animals (primarily hens from egg industry) at our adoption center, under supervision of the Rescue Ranch Manager. Animal Caregivers are responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medication of the animals. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals, especially chickens.
- Keen interest in the animal welfare/rights movement is encouraged
- Vegan preferred (vegetarian required)
- Reliable and dependable
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 30-40 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
- Work well with a variety of people
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self motivator
- Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
- Willing to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
- Daily cleaning of barns, enclosures, and pastures (when needed).
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedules
- Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
- Aiding with health checks
- Assisting on rescues, as needed
- Assisting with veterinary visits and setting up treatment protocols
- Completing shelter projects as assigned
Hours/Days: 15-20 hours/week, part-time, days of week may vary; schedule subject to change anytime, required to work most holidays
Start Date: ASAP
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email email@example.com. In subject line, write Part-Time Animal Caregiver application.
Faxes cannot be accepted. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing.