Get Involved – Sanctuary Internships
Get a feel for what interns do by liking the Animal Place Sanctuary Interns Page!
Put your compassion into action and join us for an animal sanctuary internship. Your residential, live-in internship will be a memorable experience spent working hard at our 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA. Choose to pursue an animal care internship or animal advocacy and outreach internship. We also offer an internship at our 60-acre adoption center, Rescue Ranch, in Vacaville, CA.
Interns become intimately familiar with the operations of a nonprofit sanctuary, the behavior of farm animals in a non-production setting, and will have an amazing experience working alongside like-minded people. Once you complete your internship, apply for an internship grant.
General Sanctuary Internship Information
- Age Requirement: 18 and older, no exceptions.
- Companion Animals: Not permitted. Staff dogs often at intern house. Exceptions can be made for Rescue Ranch internships.
- Housing: On-site, provided, living with multiple individuals.
- Food: Not provided, must pay for your own.
- Transportation: Pick-up and drop-off to the Sacramento International Airport or the Amtrak Auburn train station provided for your arrival on the first of the month and departure. You are welcome to bring your own vehicle. Please note: The sanctuary is located 6.5 miles from the nearest town of Grass Valley, 30 miles from Auburn, and 60 miles from Sacramento. The sanctuary is in a rural area. Once a week trips to the grocery store/town are provided by Animal Place staff.
- Medical Insurance: You must provide your own health insurance coverage. Proof required prior to start of internship.
- Refundable Deposit: To secure your spot, you must provide a $150 refundable deposit. If this is a financial burden, ask about our deposit scale.
- Internship Length: Each internship lasts 8-12 weeks, starting and ending the first of each month.
- Capabilities: Applicants should be able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities Document.
After you have read through each internship opportunity, fill out the application below. Submitting an application does not guarantee a spot.
Summer internships are the most competitive but we seek and accept interns year-round. Because of the high volume of inquiries, applications are processed at intervals throughout the year. While there may be exceptions to some deadlines, an approximate timeline for the application process is listed below. If you would like to confirm the status of your application, you are welcome to reach out and contact me.
|Intern Starting Month||Apply By||Applications Reviewed||Applicants Accepted|
|January||Nov 1||Nov||Nov 30|
|February||Nov 1||Nov||Nov 30|
|March||Nov 1||Nov||Nov 30|
|April||Jan 1||Jan||Jan 31|
|May||Jan 1||Jan||Jan 31|
|June||Feb 1||Feb-Mar||Mar 31|
|July||Feb 1||Feb-Mar||Mar 31|
|August||Feb 1||Feb-Mar||Mar 31|
|September||Jun 1||Jun||Jun 30|
|October||Jun 1||Jun||Jun 30|
|November||Sept 1||Sept||Sept 30|
|December||Sept 1||Sept||Sept 30|