Animal Place Job Openings
Current Grass Valley Openings: Animal Care Director
Current Vacaville Rescue Ranch Openings: Animal Caregiver (2 part-time positions), Adoption Coordinator (part-time, housing provided)
Grass Valley Opening
Animal Care Director
Animal Place, 17314 McCourtney Road, Grass Valley, CA 95949
Organization Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are three facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for more than 300 farmed animals as well as education center, the 60-acre Rescue Ranch facility in Vacaville, CA, and a 15-acre property for residential interns located next to the Grass Valley sanctuary. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying. This position will be working out of the Grass Valley site.
Position Objectives: To supervise animal care staff, interns, and volunteers in caring for all animals living at the sanctuary.
Job Title: Animal Care Director for Grass Valley sanctuary.
Essential Duties and Primary Job Purpose
Responsible for managing and supervising the operation of the animal care staff, interns and volunteers. Oversees the feeding and cleaning of the animals and ensures the safety, sanitation of all animal barns and pastures. Provides staff and intern training, and prepares operational reports. Also responsible for regularly performing duties of an animal care worker.
- Staff supervision: Responsible for the hiring, supervision, promotion, discipline, and termination of animal care workers, providing continual feedback and timely evaluations. Makes daily inspection of sanctuary to ensure work is accomplished, animals are cared for, and animal enclosures are sanitary. Monitors safety compliance of staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Volunteer and intern oversight: Responsible for overseeing the scheduling and supervision of animal care interns and animal care volunteers.
- Animal care work: Regularly performs the duties of an animal care worker.
- Record keeping: Maintains numerous files and records that include but are not limited to animal population, medical care, incident, and personnel data. Maintains detail records on all medications used on animals. Prepares all animal care worker assignments and schedules.
- Budget: Prepares budget, projection figures, and program estimates. Monitors expenses in relation to annual budget, and regularly reviews and modifies procedures to keep within budget.
- Animal health: Monitors the health of sanctuary animals and insures proper medical care. Relates staff concerns to veterinarian regarding specific animals and insures veterinary instructions are properly carried out.
- Meetings and communication: Conducts and participates in meetings with staff to review procedures, discuss workplace issues, and share ideas to improve animal care. Provides weekly written reports to executive director and meets with him/her to develop long-range programs and regularly review policies and procedures. Works cooperatively with education and administrative staff in outreach efforts. Keeps all staff outside of animal care updated on status of animal care.
- Inventory: Oversees all animal care inventories, handles ordering of supplies and equipment, and assures that appropriate quantities of all supplies are on hand. Regularly inspects animal facilities for needed repairs, and maintenance.
- Hiring and training: Recruits, selects, and trains new staff providing for their growth and safety. Strives to remain current on farmed animal care.
- Interest in the animal protection movement and commitment to a vegan lifestyle.
- At least two years in a management or supervisory position.
- Demonstrated supervisory knowledge to include supervision and motivation techniques, and basic training methods. Knowledge of decision-making techniques, skill in mediating dispute, conflicts, and grievances.
- Knowledge in farmed animal health and well-being to include nutritional needs, resources for information, and knowledge of common animal diseases. Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses and injuries.
- Demonstrated personal communication knowledge to include effective phone skills, effective interviewing techniques, public speaking, and ability to communicate effectively in writing, and orally.
- Experience working in a sanctuary setting desired.
- Early morning and some evening work depending upon the season and needs of animals. Flexibility is essential as holiday, weekend and evening work may be required.
- Work is performed at a sanctuary with exposure to seasonal outdoor conditions
- Animal contacts and related injuries may occur.
- Lifting of up to 40-lbs with reasonable accommodation.
- Frequent walking, bending and stooping.
Benefits: Medical Insurance plan; paid holidays; sick leave; 2-weeks vacation per year
Salary: Dependent upon experience.
Start date: April 2014
How to apply: Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals as well as education center and the 60-acre Rescue Ranch facility in Vacaville, CA. Rescue Ranch provides temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Rescue Ranch began in 2010 and since then, more than 12,000 animals have been saved, primarily hens rescued from egg farms prior to slaughter, but also turkeys, sheep, goats, llamas, and pigs.
Job Title: Adoption Coordinator
Job Status: Part-time, Vacaville, Live-in
Immediate Supervisor: Marji Beach, Education Director
The Adoption/Shelter Coordinator is responsible for the tenacious pursuit of “flock partners” (shelters that work with Animal Place to house or assist in placing rescued chickens), running chicken care classes, assisting in aggressive adoption outreach and facilitation of placement for needy farmed animals. Additional responsibilities in exchange for living quarters includes some potential animal care.
Please read over the qualifications and job duties thoroughly before applying.
- Program development skills
- Keen interest in the animal welfare/rights movement is encouraged
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong writing skills
- Competent with computers, database management programs, telephone system
- Self-motivator and tenacious
- Valid California driver’s license
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google docs, etc
- Aggressive pursuit of working relationship with animal shelters.
- Dedication and drive to seeking and finding appropriate compassionate chicken adopters
- Assist with coordinating and rescues and transportation of animals
- Create and maintain adopter, shelter, and farmer database
- Update and maintain animal adoption and partner shelters & farms database
- Assist in placement of animals into permanent homes
- Schedule and teach chicken care classes throughout California
Extra Live-In Responsibilities
- After hours responsibilities as needed
- On-call responsibility 2-3 days/week
- Flexible work schedule
Hours/Days: 20 hours/week of adoption work
Wage: Dependent on experience
Start Date: As soon as possibleBenefits: Utilities covered; companion animals allowed (subject to approval)
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email email@example.com. In subject line, write Rescue Ranch Adoption Coordinator application.
Faxes cannot be accepted. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing.
Part-Time Animal Caregiver (2 positions open)
Job Title: Animal Caregiver
Job Status: Part-time, Vacaville location
Immediate Supervisor: Rescue Ranch Manager
The part-time Animal Caregiver assists in the care of the approximately 500-2000 laying hens and additional animals, when needed. Animal Caregivers are responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medical care of the animals.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- Keen interest in the animal welfare/rights movement is encouraged
- Vegan preferred (vegetarian minimum)
- Reliable and dependable
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 30-40 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
- Work well with a variety of people
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self motivator
- Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
- Willing to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedules
- Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
- Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the shelter areas
- Aiding with weekly health checks
- Assisting with veterinary visits and setting up treatment protocols
- Completing shelter projects as assigned
Hours/Days: 20 hours/week, part-time, days of vary; schedule subject to change anytime, required to work most holidays
Start Date: As soon as possible
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line, write Rescue Ranch Caregiver application.