Organization Description: Founded in 1989, Animal Place is one of the oldest and largest sanctuaries for farmed animals in the United States. As an animal rights organization, we promote the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals as well as an education center, a 12-acre Rescue & Adoption Center in Petaluma, CA. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website before considering applying: www.animalplace.org
Job Status: Full-Time Employee, 40 hours per week
Supervision: Reports to Program Director
Salary: $15/hour or TBD based on experience
Benefits: Paid vacation/holiday time. Health insurance after probation period.
Location: Grass Valley, California
Start Date: Immediate
Job Description: The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for overseeing and developing all aspects of Animal Place’s volunteer program throughout all facilities. They will recruit, screen, hire, and train volunteers, provide mentoring and education, manage scheduling and day-to-day coordination, maintain personnel records, and facilitate evaluations and appreciation activities. The Volunteer Coordinator will supervise all volunteer shifts, working alongside the volunteer team.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit volunteers
- Process and retain forms and records for volunteer personnel and document volunteer activities
- Orient and facilitate training of volunteers to increase their understanding of Animal Place, its mission, and the roles and responsibilities of volunteers
- Ensure volunteer protocols are followed and volunteers receive appropriate level of supervision
- Contact and schedule volunteers for all volunteer needs across Animal Place’s programs and facilities
- Coordinate volunteers for events
- Use scheduling software and e-marketing tools for communications
- Write and distribute quarterly volunteer newsletter and ongoing communications with volunteer personnel
- Assist with conflict resolution among staff and volunteers
- Plan and implement volunteer recognition activities
- Oversee Volunteer Facebook group
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the volunteer program and implement improvements as needed
- Conduct annual volunteer program evaluation survey
- Prepare quarterly and annual program reports
- Work closely with the animal care department to ensure volunteers are up to date on the latest protocols
- Assist the education department with other duties as needed, particularly community outreach and events
- Strong interest in and commitment to animal rights and veganism
- Knowledge of farmed animal issues
- Extremely well organized: set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, and activities
- Relationship builder: establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Problem solver: assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Creativity/innovation: develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Self-starter: can work independently and enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Personable and friendly
- Ability to professionally advocate Animal Place’s positions on issues
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record
- Experience supervising/managing employees or volunteers strongly preferred
- Previous volunteer or paid work in animal protection strongly preferred
- Experience in navigating different social media platforms preferred
- Experience with Google Drive preferred
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor. A large portion of this position is cleaning barns alongside the volunteers.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. In subject line, write “Volunteer Coordinator Application”.
Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
Animal Place is fully committed to equal employment opportunity, and company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, gender, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.