Part time Animal Care Assistant- Grass Valley
Part time Animal Care Assistant
Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals as well as education center and the Rescue and Adoption facility in Petaluma, CA which provides temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Job Title: Animal Care Assistant
Job Status: Part-time, Grass Valley
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Director
Job Description: The Animal Care Assistant assists in the care of the 400+ animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys) living at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Director. Animal Care Assistants are responsible for cleaning and maintaining animal living quarters, maintaining sanctuary property, restocking supplies, running errands, and limited socializing with the animal residents. See below for specific responsibilities and duties. This position is a great fit for individuals who enjoy physical labor in an outdoor setting.
· Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
· Keen interest in the animal welfare/rights movement is encouraged
· Reliable and dependable
· Good animal behavior and observation skills
· Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
· Able to lift 40 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
· Work well with a variety of people
· Strong communication and listening skills
· Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
· Able to learn and process new information quickly
· Team player and self-motivator
· Able to complete tasks with little to no supervision
· Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
· Willing to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
· Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
Job Duties include
· Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the barns and shelter areas
· Re-stocking feed, straw, and supplies
· Assisting caregivers with medical tasks and animal health checks
· Assisting in the training and supervision of volunteers and interns
· Socializing and monitoring animals as needed
Hours/Days: 16-24 hours/week based on the needs of the sanctuary. Option of 4 or 6 hour days. Must be available to work between the hours of 8:30am and 12:30pm.
Start Date: March 2022
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email to Humanresources@animalplace.org, with part-time animal care assistant in subject line. Faxes cannot be accepted. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.