Job Title: Sanctuary Veterinarian
Job Status: Part-Time, Grass Valley, CA
Background: Animal Place is a farmed animal sanctuary and advocacy organization. We operate a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals. We also have a 12-acre Rescue & Adoption Center in Petaluma, CA, which houses animals available for adoption with an emphasis on chickens from the egg industry.
Position: The position is part-time with a flexible schedule. The Sanctuary Veterinarian is responsible for providing quality veterinary care alongside the RVT and a team of experienced caregivers. This unique position allows you to work with a variety of farmed animal species in a rescue setting. The Sanctuary Veterinarian will work closely with the Animal Care and Shelter Director to create and implement standard of care policies, provide onsite medical treatment to the animal residents, train and supervise animal care staff on animal treatments and policies, and communicate with external healthcare providers on medical cases handled at speciality and referral hospitals. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
Reports to: The Animal Care and Shelter Director
- Work closely with the Animal Care and Shelter Director to develop health protocols, Isolation protocols, nutrition and treatment plans for the sanctuary residents
- Consult with Animal Place leadership on rescues and intakes
- Supervise and train Animal Caregivers on animal treatments
- Examine, diagnose, and perform routine and emergency veterinary treatment
- Maintain detailed medical records regarding animal treatments
- Perform and interpret diagnostic tests including bloodwork, radiographs, and ultrasound
- Oversee the ordering and use of veterinary medications including controlled substances
- Provide end of life care and euthanasia
- Interface effectively with other veterinarians at speciality clinics and referral facilities as needed
- Consult with Animal Care Director via phone or video call on after-hours medical cases
- Participate in regular animal care leadership meetings
- California Veterinary License and ability to maintain licensing requirements
- DEA License
- Passionate about animal welfare
- Comfortable working with farm animals
Salary: Based on experience
Hours/Days: Part-time, 12-16 hr/wk. Must be available to assist with emergency medical situations and available for after-hours consultations
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email to Humanresources@animalplace.org. In the subject line, write Veterinarian application.
Faxes cannot be accepted.