Seasonal Part-Time Animal Caregiver
Organization: Animal Place is a nonprofit sanctuary for farmed animals and an education/advocacy organization. It operates two shelters in northern California. Its headquarters is located on 600-acres in Grass Valley, (60 miles north of Sacramento) with a Rescue & Adoption Center in Petaluma. This position will be working out of the Petaluma site.
Position Objectives: The part-time Animal Caregiver assists in the care of previously farmed animals (focus on chickens rescued from the egg industry but also turkeys, sheep, goats, small pigs, dogs) at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care and Property Manager. Animal Caregivers are responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medical care of the animals. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
Job Title: Seasonal Part-time animal caregiver
Job Status: 2-month seasonal position, Part-time, Petaluma, CA
Reports to: Animal Care and Property Manager
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the shelter areas
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedules
- Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
- Maintaining sanctuary grounds
- Assist with various animal care duties as needed including barn cleaning, feeding, opening and closing of barns, declumping, and administering medications
- Assist Animal Care and Property Manager as needed
- Flexible schedule. More hours are required the days before and after a rescue takes place.
- Reliable, dependable, and great work ethic
- Able to lift 50 pounds and perform very strenuous/manual labor.
- Comfortable handling or learning to handle chickens, sheep, goats, and other previously farmed animals.
- Passionate about working for and with previously farmed animals
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather and hot summers
- Positive attitude
- Works well with a variety of people
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed verbal and written instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self-motivator
Hours/Days: 12-16 hours/week. 2-month seasonal position.
How to apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with part-time caregiver- Petaluma in subject line.