Get a feel for what interns do by following the Animal Place Sanctuary Interns Facebook Page!
Put your compassion into action and join us for a sanctuary internship. Your residential, live-in internship will be a memorable experience spent working hard at our 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, California. Interns become intimately familiar with the operations of a nonprofit sanctuary, the behavior of farmed animals in a non-production setting, and will have an amazing experience working alongside like-minded people.
- Age Requirement: 18 and older, no exceptions.
- Companion Animals: Not permitted.
- Housing: Provided, on-site, living with multiple individuals.
- Food: Not provided, must pay for your own.
- Transportation: Pick-up and drop-off to the Sacramento International Airport or the Amtrak Auburn Train Station provided for your arrival and departure on the first of the month. You are welcome to bring your own vehicle.
Please note: The sanctuary is located 6.5 miles from the nearest town of Grass Valley, 30 miles from Auburn, and 60 miles from Sacramento. The sanctuary is in a rural area and is not walking distance to town. Once a week trips to the grocery store are provided by Animal Place staff.
- Medical Insurance: You must provide your own health insurance coverage. Proof required prior to start of internship.
- Refundable Deposit: To secure your spot, you must provide a $150 refundable deposit. If this is a financial burden, please email email@example.com to ask about our deposit scale.
- Internship Length: 2 or 3 months, starting and ending on the first of each month.
- Capabilities: Applicants should be able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities Document.
After you have read through each internship opportunity, fill out the application below and you will be contacted with the next steps.
Summer internships are the most competitive but we seek and accept interns year-round. Because of the high volume of inquiries, applications are processed at intervals throughout the year. While there may be exceptions, an approximate timeline for the application process is listed below. If you would like to confirm the status of your application or have any questions about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: We are currently still accepting applications for November and December 2017.
|Intern Starting Month||Apply By||Applications Reviewed||Applicants Accepted|
|January||Nov 1||Nov||Nov 30|
|February||Nov 1||Nov||Nov 30|
|March||Nov 1||Nov||Nov 30|
|April||Jan 1||Jan||Jan 31|
|May||Jan 1||Jan||Jan 31|
|June||Feb 1||Feb-Mar||Mar 31|
|July||Feb 1||Feb-Mar||Mar 31|
|August||Feb 1||Feb-Mar||Mar 31|
|September||July 1||July||July 31|
|October||July 1||July||July 31|
|November||Sept 1||Sept||Sept 30|
|December||Sept 1||Sept||Sept 30|
If you have successfully completed an internship at Animal Place, apply for one of our post-internship grants and put those compassion muscles back into action! We want to thank you for your service at the sanctuary and encourage you to pay it forward with one of our grants.