PUT YOUR COMPASSION INTO ACTION and join us for a sanctuary internship. Animal Place is one of the oldest and largest farmed animal sanctuaries in the country, nestled on 600-acres in Grass Valley, California. Your residential, live-in internship provides an amazing opportunity to learn what it’s like to work at a sanctuary doing animal care or advocacy. Interns learn about farmed animal behavior and how to be better advocates for animals!
Get a feel for what interns do by following the Animal Place Sanctuary Interns Facebook Page!
- Age Requirement: 18 and older
- Internship Length: 2 or 3 months, session dates noted under ‘How to Apply’
- Housing: Provided, on-site, living with multiple individuals
- Food: Interns pay for their own food, weekly trips to the grocery store are provided by Animal Place staff
- Companion Animals: Not permitted
- Transportation: Pick-up and drop-off from the Sacramento International Airport is provided by Animal Place for arrival and departure. Interns are welcome and encouraged to bring their own vehicles. Please note: The sanctuary is located 6.5 miles from the nearest town of Grass Valley, 30 miles from Auburn, and 60 miles from Sacramento. The sanctuary is in a rural area and is not walking distance to town.
- Medical Insurance: Interns must provide their own health insurance coverage for the duration of the internship
- Refundable Deposit: Interns must provide a $200 deposit to secure their spot, which is refunded upon completion of the program. If this is a financial burden, please email email@example.com to ask about our deposit scale, or consider applying for our Intern Scholarship outlined below.
- Capabilities: Applicants should be able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities Document.
Thanks to the support of a generous donor, Animal Place is awarding up to 14 intern scholarships in 2019! Determinations are based on financial need. Applicants must submit an Internship Application below before applying for an intern scholarship. Scholarship information and application.
HOW TO APPLY
NOTE: Summer internships are the most competitive but we seek and accept interns year-round. Because of the high volume of inquiries, applications are processed at intervals throughout the year. An approximate timeline for the application process is listed below. If the application deadline has passed or you would like to confirm the status of your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Intern Session||Application Deadline||Applications Reviewed|
|January-February (March extension available)||October 1||October-November|
|August- September||June 30||June-July|