PUT YOUR COMPASSION INTO ACTION and join us for a sanctuary internship. Animal Place is one of the oldest and largest farmed animal sanctuaries in the country, nestled on 600-acres in Grass Valley, California. Your residential, live-in internship provides an amazing opportunity to learn what it’s like to work at a sanctuary doing animal care or advocacy. Interns learn about farmed animal behavior and how to be better advocates for animals!
Get a feel for what interns do by following the Animal Place Sanctuary Interns Facebook Page!
- Age Requirement: 18 and older
- Internship Length: 2 or 3 months, starting and ending on the first of each month.
- Housing: Provided, on-site, living with multiple individuals.
- Food: Interns pay for their own food
- Companion Animals: Not permitted.
- Transportation: Pick-up and drop-off to the Sacramento International Airport provided by Animal Place for your arrival and departure on the first of the month. You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own vehicle. Please note: The sanctuary is located 6.5 miles from the nearest town of Grass Valley, 30 miles from Auburn, and 60 miles from Sacramento. The sanctuary is in a rural area and is not walking distance to town. Weekly trips to the grocery store are provided by Animal Place staff.
- Medical Insurance: You must provide your own health insurance coverage.
- Refundable Deposit: If accepted into the program, you must provide a $200 refundable deposit to secure your spot. If this is a financial burden, please email email@example.com to ask about our deposit scale.
- Capabilities: Applicants should be able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities Document.
Thanks to the support of a generous donor, Animal Place is awarding up to 14 intern scholarships in 2019! Determinations are based on financial need. Applicants must submit an Internship Application below before applying for an intern scholarship. Scholarship information and application.
HOW TO APPLY
NOTE: Summer internships are the most competitive but we seek and accept interns year-round. Because of the high volume of inquiries, applications are processed at intervals throughout the year. An approximate timeline for the application process is listed below. If the application deadline has passed or you would like to confirm the status of your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Intern Session||Application Deadline||Applications Reviewed|
|January-February (March extension available)||October 1||October-November|
|June-July (August extension available)||February 1||February-March|