Do you want to do more with your love of animals? Muck out barns? Assist with running tours? Educate the public at events? Socialize with animals? If so, we'd love to have you! Join our volunteer family today!
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Volunteer Job Description: The Animal Care Volunteers assist in the care of 350+ animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys) at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Team. Animal Care Volunteers assist with barn cleaning, heat checks and socialization of the animals. Volunteers will be scheduled alongside an Animal Place staff member.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions
- Reliable and dependable
- Able to work outdoors in hot weather conditions (average high is 95-105F)
- Able to lift 10 pounds and perform manual labor
- Work well with a variety of people
- Cleaning duties: learn how to maintain animal quarters for potbellied pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, and rabbits
- Maintaining shelter areas: learn what is involved in maintaining the animal care component of a sanctuary (i.e. storing feed, moving bales of straw and hay, doing laundry, sorting produce, scrubbing feed and water bowls, cleaning perches).
Hours/Days: 2-3 hour shifts in the morning, ideally 8:30am-11:30am. You can sign up for one or two shifts or make it a weekly routine!
Start Date: Immediate
How to Apply: Send email to [email protected] describing your interest in this volunteer role and your availability.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
If your organization is looking for group volunteer opportunities, let Animal Place host your organization for a day of farmed animal fun! During your experience, you and your group will be able to learn about the history of Animal Place, help with barn cleaning, and meet our amazing animal residents! For more information and to apply, please visit the Group Volunteer Opportunities page.
If you have questions, please contact [email protected]