Easy Cucumber Sandwich
Cucumber Sandwiches are perfect for appetizers, luncheons, bridal or baby showers, picnics, and even just for a healthy meal. They are fresh, light, and so delicious!
- 2 slice whole-grain bread other options listed above
- 2-3 tablespoons hummus homemade mayo, or other spread (suggestions above)
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 medium kale leaves chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cucumber
- mustard of choice
- Lemon Pepper
- Wash and slice the veggies--cucumbers, green onion, cilantro, and kale. You will want them in small bite-size pieces. The kale should be about the size of a cilantro leaf, so pretty small. The cucumbers can be round slices or shaved thin slices.
- If you want your bread crispy, begin by toasting it first. Toasting is completely optional. Homemade Whole Wheat Bagels are one of my favorites for making sandwiches. It's completely oil-free.
- Spread the bread generously with your choice of hummus flavors, Tzatziki Cucumber Sauce, Vegan Cream Cheese, or Homemade Vegan Mayo. Ann & Jane Esselstyn, the recipe creators, use hummus.
- Sprinkle the green onion, cilantro, and kale evenly over the hummus or other spread.
- Smear each cucumber slice with a thin layer of mustard and place them mustard-side down on top of the cilantro-kale layer and press down if necessary so they stay in place. The Esselstyns highly recommend a mustard variety called True Natural Taste Sweet and Spicy Creamy White Mustard.
- Sprinkle the sandwich generously with lemon pepper. Cut in half, quarters, or any way you like and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!