Lentil Pea Soup
Split pea soup has been a favorite of mine from way back, so this updated lentil pea soup is just as tasty. It also ups the protein even more.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cup orange lentils
- 1 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 1/2 cup split peas
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or 8 cups homemade
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup light canned coconut milk optional
- OR 3/4 tsp coconut extract mixed with 1 cup non-dairy milk
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to a large pot with ¼ cup water or vegetable broth and sauté over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions have turned translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and spices.
- Pour in the 8 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the lentils and peas to the broth, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Whisk in coconut milk (if using), lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Top servings with a dollop of plain unsweetened soy yogurt. If you have trouble finding it, try making your own.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!