Sushi Burrito with Crispy Tofu
Crisp tofu, sweet sushi rice, creamy avocado with spiced chipotle, pickled ginger and kimchi this crispy tofu sushi burrito is a fusion party
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 250 grams firm tofu cut into 4-inch long blocks of firm tofu 1 inch wide
- 3 tablespoon potato or corn starch
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 nori sheets
- ¼ cup chipotle mayonnaise
- ½ avocado peeled and sliced
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- ½ cup vegan kimchi
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon Japanese pickled ginger
- Wash the sushi rice until the water runs clear. I wash and rinse mine at least 5 times.
- Add the washed rice to a medium saucepan - make sure it has a lid- and add 1 and ¼ cups of cold water. Over low to medium heat bring the water up to a boil before turning the heat to low, popping on the saucepan lid, and cooking the water all the way down. When the water has absorbed, remove the rice from the heat and allow it to sit in the pot with the lid still on for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and stir until the salt and sugar dissolves.
- After 15 minutes, gently transfer the rice to a glass or wooden bowl and, using a wooden spoon, carefully fold through the vinegar mixture. Cover the rice with a clean cloth and set it aside until it reaches room temperature.
- To prepare the tofu, wrap it in a kitchen towel and sit for 5 minutes to remove as much moisture as possible. After, slice the tofu in to 2 inch blocks.
- Place the corn starch, salt and cayenne pepper on to a small plate and drop the tofu in turning to coat all sides.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan. Shake any excess starch from the tofu and pop each block in to the pan and fry each side for 2 minutes or until crisp. After cooking, place the tofu on an absorbent towel.
- To assemble the burrito, join two sheets of nori together by wetting the short edge of one and pressing it to the short edge of the other, rough ride up. We are looking to create a long nori length.
- Starting an inch from the edge, press the sushi rice in to the nori getting it as even as you can. Press enough rice to create a square 3 inches long and the width of the nori sheet. Follow with a good smear of chipotle mayonnaise, a line of crispy tofu blocks, a line of avocado slices, matchstick carrots, kimchi, baby spinach and pickled ginger.
- Starting from the edge closest to you, gently but firmly roll the nori away from you. Don't worry if the nori breaks a little, you will roll it a few times and cover any cracks. Run a line of cold water along the far edge of the nori to seal the roll. Lay the roll, seam side down, for a minute to seal properly. Slice the burrito in half to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!